Birthdays

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, December 9, 2013

God's Kolkata 2013

If you know me or ever read my blog... then you know I have a heart for the nations. I especially have a unexplainable love for the Indian culture. The only thing I can say is it is a God thing. Two years ago I was sent to Kolkata, India by God to shape and mold me. Most of the time these mission trips are 95% to change you and 5% for who you are serving. So 2 years ago, that is what happened... God gave me this deep loving desire for Indians. I have since been involved with a ministry here in Houston that serves and loves on the Bhutanese Refugees. They have some Indian traits but also have a little Chinese traits as well. Hard to explain... Same, same but different. The last year in October God sent me to Bangladesh. Again, fell even more in love with my fellow Indian (Bengali) friends. I had a lot of growing happen from this trip as well.

This year has been quiet. I will be honest... I have become very comfortable with our way of life. Nothing really deep going on... just nice and calm. Well let me just tell you... my nice calmness has been rattled. Wednesday of last week I was helping in a WAM (worship arts ministry) class at church and I was chatting with some friends about coming to a India mission trip meeting... they thought maybe I could help describe a little more about applying the henna (I don't know). I made the comment on how I would love to go and my friend Kay, who leads the India trips, said well we still have space. I was thinkin' "WHAT! You have got to be crazy!" I told her I did not have $2000. She then said... Nothing is to big for God. $2000 to God is nothing... just room and board. She said just pray about it. I left thinking "WHAT!" but I kept it to myself. Thursday I woke up with it on my mind... the next few days I sought my God earnestly, he led me to Scripture to encourage me, I wept asking him not to give up on me and not to break my heart, I wept for I was scared of hearing "NO", I wept because I so desperately wanted to go, I wept because I knew he was breaking me and molding me, and I wept because I knew he held each tear in his hand and treasured them, I prayed constantly, he gave me visions that I did not realize were visions, and he cared for me as I gave him my heart and shared verbally to him. He told me to go by faith and take the money I had and put it down as a down payment of some sort. I put it off, but decided to do it Sunday. Sunday evening I was invited to go to a dinner with the India team. It was so fun because I go to hear the new-bees talk and ask about all the things they needed... it made me remember my first time over seas and how overwhelming that can be. WHAT DO I BRING!!! It was so good and I got a confirmation I was suppose to go!

Monday (today) rolled around and it was time to take my money in (my $610)! I walked in and Kay said something like Did you have any money dropped off at your door step? I said well kind of... I had a friend offer to pay for my trip as a gift from God. This friend and I actually talked Sunday evening and she told me God told her she was suppose to give me this money to send me to Kolkata. WHAT! Kay was shocked... I was shocked! It took me a good long time to wrap my mind around it all, because I have always had God speak to me and not speak through other people to tell me. I cried with excitement for this opportunity to return to the place that still holds a piece of my heart. I cried with excitement to see my brothers and sisters I have been longing to reunite with for 2 years.

Everything was set. Childcare for my children were all set and our lovely long-time friend is going to care for them after school and another childhood friend is going to care for the girls while Bob runs his marathon. I mean it has all been falling into place as if God himself were touching everything. (which I have no doubt he is) To top all of this off... I get a call from Kingsland (our church) and its Kay. (I was a little worried at first) She said you won't believe this. I just got an email from another individual who wants to pay for your trip. WHAT! Is that not conformation that I am suppose to go?!? I was in tears... who am I to even be privileged enough to be chosen for such a task. Don't get me wrong God has always provided but never on such a time restraint as this. Today was the last day to get tickets... to be part of this trip... TODAY! Who am I that I have been chosen?

I leave this post in awe! I have no words, but all Glory to God! Today he lead me to Psalm 86 and what peace it brings:

"Bend down, O Lord, and hear my prayer;
    answer me, for I need your help.
Protect me, for I am devoted to you.
    Save me, for I serve you and trust you.
    You are my God.

Be merciful to me, O Lord,
    for I am calling on you constantly.

Give me happiness, O Lord,
    for I give myself to you.
O Lord, you are so good, so ready to forgive,
    so full of unfailing love for all who ask for your help.
Listen closely to my prayer, O Lord;
    hear my urgent cry.
I will call to you whenever I’m in trouble,
    and you will answer me.

No pagan god is like you, O Lord.
    None can do what you do!
All the nations you made
    will come and bow before you, Lord;
    they will praise your holy name.

For you are great and perform wonderful deeds.
    You alone are God.

Teach me your ways, O Lord,
    that I may live according to your truth!
Grant me purity of heart,
    so that I may honor you.
With all my heart I will praise you, O Lord my God.
    I will give glory to your name forever,
for your love for me is very great.
    You have rescued me from the depths of death.
O God, insolent people rise up against me;
    a violent gang is trying to kill me.
    You mean nothing to them.
But you, O Lord,
    are a God of compassion and mercy,
slow to get angry
    and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness.
Look down and have mercy on me.
    Give your strength to your servant;
    save me, the son of your servant.
Send me a sign of your favor.
    Then those who hate me will be put to shame,
    for you, O Lord, help and comfort me."

1 comment:

Julie P. said...

Love this Sterling! God is so good! Thank you for being faithful to your calling, and stepping out in trust and hope! God's Name will be glorifed!