Birthdays

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, November 30, 2012

Adjusting

Last night I was asked by a couple friends if I have adjusted since returning home from Bangladesh... I asked them "Is my sleep adjusted?" and they said no. Have I adjusted to all I was exposed to? Have I adjusted to what I saw and came in contact with? Have adjusted to what God taught me and showed me? Have I adjusted to the shock of coming back into American society? The answer is NO! I have hardly any words on what happened to me over there.

Yes, I know how the American life is and what is "expected". I know... I have lived here my entire life and I should expect how I would feel when I came back, but I didn't. I never do! How can you? Is this making any sense? I don't even need to go to another country to be discussed on how we Americans live. I can simply go visit my Bhutanese friends and listen to their problems to get a good slap in the face. I can hear and see families struggling just to make ends meet or simply try to survive by putting food on the table for their families. This is the same thing I feel when I come back from a 3rd world country.

We have so much... we forget about it all because we have too much! I am not saying it is bad to have stuff, but what I am saying is it is hard to come back to this country after seeing that people in this world (the same world I live in, who have the same desires as me) don't have enough! They need some of our stuff. (I know, this is coming from my world view) But, the best thing is they don't really "need" the stuff, because their lives are good. Simple. They have smiles on their faces... even though they have to wash their clothes by hand and line dry it, even though they have no running water in their home, even though the filtered water they will drink is as dirty as the water before it was filtered, even though they have dirt floors, even though they have to wear the same clothes the next day, even though they live in a one bedroom hut full of brothers and sisters, even though they are unsure how they will eat the next night. This all reminds me of the story Jesus Speaks to the Rich Man in Luke 18:18-30...

"A certain ruler asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not commit adultery, you shall not murder, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.’”

“All these I have kept since I was a boy,” he said.

When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was very wealthy. Jesus looked at him and said, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Those who heard this asked, “Who then can be saved?”
 
Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”

Peter said to him, “We have left all we had to follow you!”

“Truly I tell you,” Jesus said to them, “no one who has left home or wife or brothers or sisters or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age, and in the age to come eternal life.”

We are rich! No matter how much you make a year... you are rich! Who can be saved? We all can, but we have to give it all to God and say "Yes!" before we even know what He is going to ask us to do. God is BIGGER and has a BIGGER plan for our lives than living for money and earthly possessions. Nothing is in possible with God... He is everything and in everything.

Jesus + Nothing = EVERYTHING!!!

I am not perfect and I struggle daily with worldly desires, but the Lord is molding me, stretching me to the point that it hurts, but to that pain I am thankful. Sometimes I want the struggles of my friends half way around the world... but truthfully I would not want the same struggles as my Bhutanese friends here in America, because that would be too painful! Having to live here and seeing what everyone else has and me not having and wishing I had more... Maybe the Lord will make that happen, but right now I am thankful for the slap in the face and my eyes widened to this American view of the I HAVE TO HAVE BIGGER...

This blog entry may sound crazy to you or maybe it is exactly where you are at, but I would not be where I am if it wasn't for my Savior's blood that was spilt for me, or the grace He gives me everytime I mess up, and the house He is preparing with many rooms. This list could go on and on, but this is what is coming to me right now. Without Him I am nothing!

No comments: