Birthdays

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

"For with God nothing is impossible."

I can not believe how fast this month is gong by... 4 days until Christmas. It is so amazing! Last year I really felt my feelings and thoughts change toward the big day... Christmas (all for good) and this year they have changed even more. This day is so amazing to me and everything that leads up to the birth of Christ.

Last week I read the first two chapters of Luke and I read it totally different then before... I was at awe. Then this past weekend we (Bob and I) watched The Nativity Story. We have owned this movie for 2 years and this is the first time we sat down and watched it. I am such a visual learner that sitting and watching the movie made it come to life. Then I sat here again today reading the first chapter of Luke and again just taken away by God.

I am taken away by the conceiving of John and Jesus but most of all I am totally blown away by the Holy Spirit. I am blown away by Zacharias and when he was told his wife was going to be pregnant at her well advanced age and that the child would "also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb" (Luke 1:15). So, I sit here wondering what also means... while Zacharias was in the temple praying to the Lord and once the angel came upon him he then was filled with the Holy Spirit? WOW!! Instantly just like that... BAMMM!!

Then sweet innocent Mary was greeted by an angel and told "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus."(Luke 1: 30,31) WOW! Can you imagine... being so young... engaged to a man... being a virgin... and being told this wonderful news that she has found favor is the eyes of God? I can't. I guess this is why I wasn't chosen :o). But most of all being comforted and given a look to the future a bit "He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David." (Luke 1:32). But then the Holy Spirit came upon her... just like that she was filled with everything she needed. Then she had total faith... "Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word." (Luke 1:38). Mary was brave!

Finally, Mary went off to see her relative Elizabeth, who has pregnant with John. When Mary walked into Elizabeth's home and Elizabeth heard Mary "her baby leaped inside her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit." (Luke 1:41) WOW!! Isn't that just consuming? Instantly filled with the Holy Spirit. I don't think that leap inside her womb was just any leap... it must have been something so unfathomable. Takes my breath away! The Elizabeth instantly spoke to Mary... "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!" (Luke 1:42). All I can say is... GOD!

I guess I am so taken away by the beginning of this book because they were filled with the Holy Spirit before anyone else... before the death on the cross. They were probably filled to just be able to comprehend what was happening and what was going to happen. I don't know about you but it just makes my jaw drop at the thought.

This Christmas I will be thinking about the Holy Spirit and all Jesus has done for us. I will sit and think about how Mary must have felt when told the news and how honored and humbled she must have felt when holding that sweet baby boy. It gives me tears to even think about that our Savior was born on this earth. That He was God in human flesh. It blows my mind... I don't even have words.

I pray you all will be able to have a moment to sit and ponder on this... ponder on the all consuming Holy Spirit and that you would think about Jesus and how special a gift He was to us.

No comments: