Birthdays

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

After the Baptism

I never posted anything about my baptism, so here it is...

Before you join Kingsland Baptist Church they want you to be baptized (the way baptist do it). When Bob and I joined the church the pastor asked us if we had been baptized. Bob had been baptized, but I have in a Methodist Church (but not submerged as baptist like it). I was fine with it. I tried to contact the lady that organized the baptisms. We played phone tag a few times. The last time I called was it... the last I heard from her (thank goodness you don't go to hell for not being baptized :o). After that I just didn't think much of it... unless it was brought up in church and then I felt guilty.

As I began to grow closer to the Lord getting baptized was on my mind more... just the obedience He calls us to do. I am a rule follower and like to do what I am told :o). Jen and I talked about baptism one night and we realized we both were in the same boat. We both knew the Lord and loved Him, but we weren't being obedient. We had a fear... a fear people would think bad things of us... a fear that people would be mad at us thinking we lied to them. We both are active in the church in different ways and they really only want members to be leaders. We knew we wouldn't be banned... but it was just hard. Hard to come forward a confess, because we were members, but hadn't gone through with everything. Make sense?

I was in the shower one day and had this nagging lingering voice telling me to take care of business. As soon as I got out of the shower I emailed Josh Allen and told him. He was very kind and understanding (not that I really expected anything else ;o). It took about a month for Jen and I to settle on a day and get it scheduled, but we finally did.

The day of we were talked through the whole thing and told that the water wasn't "magical" or anything, but it was just a public commitment that we love the Lord and ready to love Him with all we've got (this is my definition :o). I will have to say when I got in that water and I was asked by Josh if I had excepted Jesus in my heart and he dunked me back... I had this rush of something wonderful. When I came up out of the water and looked forward it was like I had a clarity. Things were like new... well not new, but clear. Does this make sense? It was an amazing feeling and i still have this feeling. I love it!

I am so happy I got baptized especially later in life. I feel like I know what I need to do and where I need to go (well not completely), but I won't go of my path on following the Lord. I know I love Him and I am learning everyday something I didn't know before.

"I once was lost, but now I'm found
was blind, but now I see
T'was grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed"

2 comments:

Suz said...

I had a sprinkle baby baptism when I was born in the episcopal church. It didn't feel the same for me. I joined a church in 9th grade, but it took until the end of my senior year to actually get baptized. I have to agree with you on the later in life thing. I am so glad that I had several years to build my relationship with Him before I did it. It really made the act so much more meaningful to me. I really understood the symbolism of being buried and rising and of the cleansing. I think kids being baptized is awesome, and I am so proud that my stepdaughter has decided she wants to make this public declaration. Its just a completely different experience when you have a deeper relationship that can only be built with time.

I'm so proud of you for doing this, Sterling. Its just amazing and such a great testimony!

~Beth D. said...

I'm glad I came across your blog. I was also "sprinkled" when i was young and have always wanted to be baptized as testimony to the commitment I have made, not my parents commitment.

Thanks for the encouragement!