Birthdays

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, August 7, 2009

Surgery Day!

Today was surgery day and let me tell you it didn't start out how I had envisioned. So let me begin from the very beginning...

Yesterday someone from MD Anderson called Bob and said they were trying to get a hold of me all day, but I had no missed calls (it was weird). The guy who called Bob said that we needed to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. When Bob told me this I was like... WHAT? That is not what I was told. I had a schedule that MD Anderson had sent me a few weeks ago, so I called and was going to make sure that this was really what was going on. I talked to 4 different people and only one person said the schedule did change and that my surgery was going to be at 7:30 a.m. instead of 11:15 a.m. Then finally I talked to someone in the Anesthesia Center and she told me that my schedule had changed, but that I had to come and see the Anesthesiologist first and that the surgery was going to be pushed back.I felt bad and all I could imagine was Dr. Ross and everyone being all scrubbed in and ready to go. I knew this wasn't right, but I talked to people and they told me to stick with my schedule I received in the mail.

This morning we headed out the door at 7:00 a.m. and guess who called Dr. Yang (a doctor working with Dr. Ross). He was wondering what was going on, so I told him all who I talked to and what they said. He said ok, but the surgery time did change. He understood and he said it wasn't my fault. I still felt bad.

As soon as I got to MD Anderson we head straight to surgery check-in. I went to the window and told the lady my last name and she said Sterling... LOL! Bob said they were waiting for us... LOL! I filled the paper work out and then I sat for maybe 5 minutes and they came to get me and take me back.

I got changed into the beautiful robe and one knee high sock (lol!). They asked me TONS of questions and then came to the questions if I had eaten or drank anything since midnight. I told them I did drink some water this morning (because I was so thirsty) and then I told them I chewed gum. CHEWING GUM IS BAD! A BIG FAT NO NO! Chewing gum is like eating and when you chew gum there is a huge risk. Anyways to make a long story short we went ahead with the surgery (no delays). I got my IV (with no problems... I am such a bad stick), got my drugs running in may veins, I was rolled to the surgery room, I switched beds, they gave me some gas, and next thing I know I am in dream land.

Next thing I know I am being woken up by the Anesthesiologist by saying to do something to get the tube out of my throat. I didn't feel anything, but then I was awake but couldn't keep my eyes open. They moved me on to another bed, rolled me into a recovery room. I slept, woke up, asked for Bob (5 times), asked for more drugs (probably about 5 injections of something), and asked for ice chips. I was so out of it. LOL!

So, this is what Dr. Ross did. He made two incisions in my ankle area and made a small incision in my groin. He removed a couple lymph nodes and he will biopsy those and if there is just one cancerous cell found I will have another surgery to remove all the lymph nodes in the groin. Right now I am in so much pain in my ankle. Bob went to Wal-Mart and bought me some crutches because it hurts to put any pressure on my foot.

It was a good productive day and I am so glad it is all over :o). Thank you all for all your prayers and thoughts and comments. They all mean the world to me.

I am a little drugged up, so if this doesn't make sense... SORRY! :o)

1 comment:

Misty said...

Sorry you are so sore. Take it SUPER easy tomorrow. Is your mom staying through Sunday? Do you want me to bring you a meal? Val and I are cooking tomorrow!! :)