Birthdays

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hurricane Ike

We ended up leaving Katy to go to my grandmother's house up in Tyler. I didn't want to take any chances with an infant and plus I don't do well without power (I NEED A/C). The news was looking horrible on Wednesday so, Bob and I made the decision to leave on Thursday after Hailee went to school. Around 3:00 on Thursday we left for Tyler and it was a little trafficy on 290 (towards Austin) a little stop and go but we were fine and then it was trafficy on 45 North too (but we survived). We ended up getting to Tyler a little before 9:00 p.m. and we were POOPED (it is hard to travel with a 2 month old)! We hung out on Friday watching the news and the crazy reporters in Galveston. It is so hard to keep up on what is actually really happening when you are out of town. All the reports try to blow up everything to make it worse than it really was. Then Saturday we saw what had and was continuing to happen as Ike pushed through Houston. We were still doing great. Ike was moving up near us and the wind was picking up and then the rain but, we still had power. Then around 5:00 p.m. a branch from my grandparent's tree was hanging on the power line. It was blowing sparks (fireworks as Hailee would say) and all the sudden the wind got going and POP POP POP... we lost power. All the neighbors loved us :o). It was okay though... we had a breeze and Mom (my grandmother) had already made dinner (expecting the power to go out). As the storm was moving out of our area it started getting really humid and HOT. We ended up going to bed with no A/C and the windows open and let me tell you that was the WORST night in my entire life. It was one thing after another.... it was hot so it took me a while to fall a sleep... then a dog would bark and then all the neighborhood dogs would bark... then it would be quiet... then Hailee would wake up because someone blew out the candle in our room... then it would get quiet... then Heidi would be up and wanted to eat.... then I would get back to bed and it would be quiet.... and etc. This went on all night... I did not get much sleep and let me tell you I was not a happy camper this morning :o). So we got up and it was beautiful out and cool might I add. We ended up leaving Tyler around 10:30 a.m. and we got back to Katy around 3:00 p.m. Our house was in good condition :o). I have been thanking God for the protection over our house. We had branches down mostly in the back yard and a screen on the front window got blown off but, other then that we are all good. Our street was flooded and our backyard was a swimming pool. I think we may have gotten a little water in our house from the backyard but nothing to be concerned about. We are really thankful that our house, fence, trees, etc. are all still up and nothing damaged. I just praise God for all He has done for us.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

So glad you guys are safe and sound! I second your comment about it being hard to watch from a distance! :) From what we understand, the house had a couple of small leaks, but no major damage. I'm with you - Praise God for His protection over us!!!